Thursday 19 May 2016

Review: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard


Name: Truthwitch
Author: Susan Dennard
Pages: 412
Format: Hardback
Publisher: Tor
ISBN: 978-1-4472-8204-4
Rating: 5/5

Safi is a Truthwitch, able to sense when a person is lying, a form of magic many would kill to possess. Iseult is a Threadwitch able to see the Threads that bond, build and break. After a rather nasty encounter with a Bloodwitch the girls realise they must flee the city but not before Safi has to attend a ball. Being the Domna of the fon Hasstrel family has its obligations, but the ball throws in some complications for the girls.

Female friendships rock. Safi and Iseult have such a wonderful connection in the novel. They genuinely remind me of myself and my best friend Emily. (She would so be my Threadsister) Their interactions were hilarious. I also liked how different they were in looks, personality and back story! Even with the underlying plot they each have their own hurdles to overcome which really added to the novel as a whole.

Merik. Oh Merik. He's such an unfortunate soul. Having to deal with that heinous sister and a Threadbrother with breathing issues. I like how conflicted he was over everything, he struggled with doing the right thing for his people and being kind to Safi and Iseult. I'm always appreciative of a male character with flaws. Let's be serious no-one is perfect... but Merik comes close.

I thought the book was paced perfectly. Never a dull moment but it was easy to follow. The fight scenes were done brilliantly too. Very much enjoyed those. The world building is amazing. I need  to know how Susan Dennard came up with all the names and places. Its so dang cool!

Overall, I highly recommend this to anyone. Its fab. Just read it. Kay?

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?