Wednesday 6 January 2016

Review: Red Rising by Pierce Brown



Name: Red Rising
Author: Pierce Brown
Pages: 382
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Del Ray Books (US)
ISBN: 978-1-444-75899-3
Rating: 5/5

Darrow is a Red. A Helldiver of Mars. A pioneer who has the foundations of society resting on his back. Only by bravely drilling for the Helium-3 can the Reds make Mars habitable for the rest of the Colours, the softer Colours. This belief is shattered when he discovers that Mars has been habitable for generations and ruled by the highest of all Colours, the Golds. Prime. Now Darrow has been tasked with infiltrating the Golds, becoming one of them and destroying them from the inside.

I tell you now this is going to be a small review and then a helluva lot of fangirling.

Never before have I read a book that has gripped me by the throat, and cut of my bloodydamn air supply as I read it. I was captivated from the very first page. Darrow's narration throughout the entire novel was phenomenal. The first person narrative demonstrated Darrow's inner turmoil brilliantly. He was meant to hate these Golds that have turned his people into slaves yet he feels such strong loyalties to certain characters.

For those who are not aware anything with slight inclinations towards Greek or Roman culture is my jam. I studied Classical Civilisations at A-Level and have a place to study Archaeology next year. Which is why the spelling of Demokracy made me so happy. It's so close to the original 'Demokratia' (Demos: people and Kratus: power.) More wonderful Classical-ness, Praetor and Imperator were positions in Roman politics. Praetor being the chap in charge of part of an army or a magistrate. The Peerless Scarred very much reminded me of a futuristic Praetorian Guard, without Sejanus being a pain. (Classics humour.) I find myself wondering if Mickey the Carver was a reference to Michaelangelo. Admittedly, my favourite aspect relating to Classics, aside form the inclusion of mythology was the rivalry between Tiberius au Bellona and Nero au Augustus. There was considerable friction between the actual Tiberius and Augustus. The people loved Augustus and deified him upon death but poor Tiberius was not deified and the chant "To the Tiber with Tiberius" was a popular one.

Moving on from my Greek/Roman fangirling. The references to other books were great, in particular the inclusion of William Golding's Lord of the Flies. One of my favourite books with a rather gruesome topic of children losing their humanity and attacking one another. Much like the Houses are forced to do to win ArchPrimus.

Characters. Sevro. I love him. He is the snarky little bastard everyone thinks is useless but my God does he show them up. #foreveraHowler I love his couldn't give a **** attitude and his undying loyalty to Darrow through everything. Having been referred to as a Goblin myself for my height I read the book permanently rooting for him to show everyone up. Us Goblins gotta stick together.

The plot. God have mercy on your nerves as you read. Fast paced and action packed but interspersed with great character building moments. I needed those desperately. I was getting 'The WalkingDead syndrome' every time a character left the main group.

I would recommend this to anyone. It's been described as having Hunger Games elements which I see but the story is so much more than that. Its a fight for power from the very bottom of society and a fight for the very top because how the hell can you win a game when the victor has been chosen since the beginning?

1. Red Rising
2. Golden Son
3. Morning Star (coming February)

Katie x





YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You know I mean business with a book when I break out the Toy Story meme. The only other book to gain this ever so high honour was Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas.

Yep. Red Rising is that good.

Right so my favourite ship has to be Mustang and Darrow. They are so damn feisty. Honestly, I just think she's fabulous. Isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and a kick ass female. #Darstang (Sounds like Durmstrang Academy)

Sevro and Fitchiner related? Hell yeah. Those born without the beauty/stature of a Gold but are probably the most cut throat. I doubt you'll read this. Pierce Brown is anything happens to Sevro I will be inconsolable. That is all.

I must admit I'm still waiting Eo to reappear somewhere. Calling her Persephone, yes Hades kidnapped her for a bit but Demeter got her back for a few months!

Pax. The not so gentle giant that wept when he had to hurt his friend.

Mars is a poor mans Ares? Couldn't agree more. Greek myth all the way.

I could go on, and on and on.

Basically read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?