Wednesday 11 November 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


Name: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 416
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury
ISBN: 978-1-4088-5786-1
Rating: 5/5

In this world under the laws of the Treaty to kill any member of the Fae requires a life debt. However, Feyre does not know this and unknowingly kills a Fae whilst out hunting, that night a beast bursts into her house demanding she pay that life debt either by going to live in Pyrthian with the Fae or have her guts spilled there and then. Against her better judgement Feyre goes to live with the Fae, and not just any Fae, a High Lord of Pyrthian. The Fae have always been viewed as bestial, uncivilised creatures but that isn't what Feyre sees as she lives with them in a rather gorgeous manor.

By this point any book Sarah J. Maas brings out is now an auto buy. ACOTAR (A Court of Thorns and Roses) was initally a retelling of Beauty and the Beast which you can definitely see in some aspects. Feyre has to go and live with Tamlin (A Fae) against her wishes in order to protect her family. The house is full of servants that dote on their Lord (like Cogsworth and Mrs.Potts do in the disney film.) There's some rather unpleasant people, to put it mildly. Towards the end of the novel I felt it drifted away from being a retelling and took on a life of its own which wasn't a bad thing in the slightest!

I really enjoyed the relationships between the characters. I particularly felt for Feyre with how, even though she's the youngest she had to look after her two older sisters and her father, yet she was never thanked for all that she does. Lucien is wonderful. Such a sarcastic and cheeky bloke. His devotion to Tamlin is admirable, though he can be a bit of a prick every now and again. Tamlin is just plain adorable. You can see how awkward he is around Feyre for no other reason than he's trying to be nice but has no clue how to act around a human woman. Bless him.

The plot I felt moved with great pace never too slow or too fast. Even with such heartbreaking moments dotted throughout the story there were still plenty of light moments that balanced it perfectly. In fact it was the light moments that had me in tears more often then anything else. I was frantically texting whilst in hysterics trying to explain how the fact that Feyre was crying over a painting meant that I was crying over a painting and I was a blubbering mess. I believe I was book drunk. That is a thing and no one can tell me otherwise. I was never left confused by anything that was happening in the try which makes for an easy and enjoyable read.


I don't know how I'll cope as after searching through Sarah's Blog I found that ACOTAR 2 (no title yet) is being released on May 3rd 2016.

Only seven months...

Seven months...

Seven...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?