Tuesday 16 June 2015

Review: The disreputable history of Frankie Landau-Banks By E. Lockhart


Title: The disreputable history of Frankie Landau-Banks
Author: E. Lockhart
Pages: 342
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Hot Key Books (2014) Hyperion Books (2008)
ISBN: 978-1-4714-0440-5
Rating:4.5/5

*Blurb taken from the back of the book*

"Frankie Landau-Banks attends one of the most privileged schools in the country. She is popular, cute and funny. Her main preoccupation is the gorgeous Matthew Livingston. But that's not all there is to Frankie. She's also smart. Then Frankie discovers Matthew has been keeping secrets from her. What will she do to get even? How far will she go? It's up to Frankie..."

One of my most favourite protagonists I have ever read. Frankie is everything that a woman should be; ambitious, intelligent and hella feisty. I think this is a brilliant novel as when you go beyond the surface it's a novel that depicts how some women are still excluded from certain aspects of society, even though they may be extremely well suited to said area of society and help further it in some way, just as Frankie does in escalating the Pranks of the Bassett Hounds and planning them with such meticulousness that it gains her a nuance of praise.

Frankie aimed to change the perception of herself, she no longer wanted the be "Bunny Rabbit" but a force to be reckoned with. Arguably, she is. I love he use of neglected positives. I believe myself to have some things in common with Frankie which is why I think I enjoyed the book so much. Having friends who can be grossly sexist is challenging, I tend to be ignored by some and when I make an intelligent point in a conversation it is met with startled looks as if to say "Hang on, you thought of this?"

Dear readers of a novel idea, as I write this post I am distinctly "gruntled" (neglected positive example 1.) I have pretzels, Vimpto and an episode of Game of Thrones to watch. I implore that you read this novel, if for no other reason than to laugh at the giant boob. (Clarification if given in disreputable history.)


Have you read this novel? Did you enjoy it, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?