Saturday 4 April 2015

Review: Talon - Julie Kagawa


Name: Talon
Author: Julie Kagawa
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought by me
Publisher: MIRA Ink, an imprint of Harlequin Enterprises Limited.
ISBN: 978-1-848-45337-1
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: *Taken from the back of the book*

To the outside world Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St.George, a powerful society of dragonslayers.

St.George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he's been taught about dragons.

Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides - fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destroy one another.


Firstly, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but I felt like I was holding a dragon whilst reading it! Secondly, the actual content is phenomenal. I thoroughly enjoyed the concept of the book, but I love anything to do with dragons. The characters are portrayed beautifully and not gonna lie I teared up a few times. I felt such sympathy for both Ember and Garret as they're so oppressed by those around them, particularly Ember when it came to dealing with her twin Dante. I must admit Dante did infuriate me throughout the book, in the sense that I was in disbelief that he couldn't see, or rather refused to see Ember's side of the argument! I felt like he could feature more in the book but judging from the excerpt of the next instalment of the Talon Saga he may do in the next book!

I genuinely couldn't put this book down; I was compelled to keep reading! I also liked how the book was split into sections. The shift from Ember's narrative to Garret's was a nice touch as it enabled me to draw parallels between the two characters. Furthermore the sudden introduction of Riley's narrative was an interesting twist but mirrored his cavalier nature brilliantly!

Overall, I think this was a wonderful book and would thoroughly recommended it to those who are fans of the fantasy and YA genres.

**Next novel is Rogue - out in hardback on the 28th April 2015**

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?